Sunday, February 27, 2011

Interview with Sachin Tendulkar

Sachin Tendulkar


Interview with Sachin Tendulkar

There was a time when watching Sachin Tendulkar was exciting. Today it is a joy.
The free spirit is now the senior statesman in the team with new priorities and greater goals to achieve.
But that has not taken anything away from his batting prowess and his insurmountable achievements. His 141 in the second one-day game at Rawalpindi was one of the better one-day knocks witnessed in Pakistan.     
After returning to Pakistan, the country where he made his Test debut 15 years ago, it has been a dream come true for Tendulkar to be part of the first Indian team ever to win a cricket series in Pakistan in more than 50 years.

· Star-Sign: Taurus
· Team: India,Mumbai,Yorkshire,World XI,Rest of India
· First Class Debut: 1988
· Test Debut: 1989
· Most Remebering Day in Cricket : When 1st time seleted for the Indian Team,and when selected for the 1st test again Pakistan                    
· Worst Day in Cricket: Loosing the world cup semi final against Srilanka in 1996 
· Heroes in Cricket: Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Sandeep Patil, Viv Richards, Ian Botham
·  Whose impact on you : My Brothers Ajit and Nitin, My sister Savita, most Mother-Father, Wife Anjali,My coach, Uncle and aunt Suresh and Mangla Tendulkar
· Favorite player from Today's era : Brain Lara, Wasim Akram, Walsh, Shane Warne and Anil Kumble
· Players for Future: Rahul Dravid, Vikram Rathore, Amol Majumdaar  
· Your Aim in Cricket: To score lots of centuries and to play as many as test and one day    
· Favorite cricket Ground: Sydney Cricket Ground and Eden Gardens
· Least Favorite: None
· Complaints With Cricket: We should play more tests
· What should be done to improve cricket: Should be played in more countries and its popularity
· Most funny moment in Cricket: In 1990 when Narendra Hirwani came to bat at Old Trafford. Azhar gave him a new bat. The 1st ball he played with that bat was from Cris Lweis and the bat breaks into two pieces.
· Most Embracing Moment: Third match against Newzealand in 1994 at in Cricket Wellington.The situation was tense so I told  Ankola not to bowl any no balls or wide balls. I took a very good catch of Danny Morrisson and in excitement I threw the ball in air with. Batsmen still ran 2 runs- actullay the Umpire declared that ball as No-ball which I didn't heard
· Hobbies & Interests: Collecting Watches ,Perfumes, good clothes and CD's
· How you want to u spend your spare time: With my family
· Which Other Sports you like: Tennis
· Which Other sports personalities you like: Maradona and John McEnroe
· Favorite Actress /Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Demi Moore
· Favorite Serial: None
· Favorite Movie: God must be crazy
· Favorite Music: Michael Learns to Rock, Eagles and Michael Jackson
· What you hate? : Selfish and cunning people
· Cars: Mercedes Benz C-36, A.M.G Sports
· Favorite food: Anything made my mother
· Favorite drink: Cold Water
· Favorite place for holidays: Goa
· Favorite Hotel: Taj Hotel,Goa
· Favorite Restaurant. : Vintage and the Great Wall,Mumbai
· What type of cloth likes to wear: Jeans and T-Shirt & according to the occasion
· Newspaper: Mid-Day, Afternoon, Times Of India
· Favorite Author: I don't read much!!
· Favorite magazine: Sportstar
· After Cricket: Some business related to Cricket
· Motto of Life: Be true to yourself
Sachin Tendulkar

Sachin Tendulkar Recent Interview



'I knew all along that I'd get back with full force'

The unexpected shower hasn't helped. And that the rendezvous is not much of a landmark doesn't make things any easier. "It's the new MCA [Mumbai Cricket Association] stadium at Bandra Kurla," Sachin Tendulkar had explained. Now here, half soaked, at a stadium which is an oval patch of flaming green with labourers pottering around and a tin-roof shed, which I share with some masonry troupe, I am not sure this is what Sachin meant. After 15 minutes of worrying and then putting my mind to rest by another call to the Tendulkar home I see him kitbag and entourage in tow. Whew! "Should we get started?" he says, asking at the same time if I'd like water or tea...

You are in great form. The shoulder injury seems history. Nevertheless I am sure you realise that the time has come to make retirement plans.

The injury was blown out of proportion. It was less than five months that I hadn't played and people were writing my obituary. I knew all along that I'd get back with full force. And the reason behind my implicit faith is that I've never thought beyond cricket and playing for India. Yes, maybe retirement is round the corner but I just can't get myself to think or plan about it. It muddles me. Somehow I am programmed only to think cricket. Right up till the very last time I walk out on the pitch my focus will only be cricket. Once I retire I should be content. Not repentant that in those crucial final years my focus was elsewhere. I don't want to retire with the feeling that in wasting time planning life post-retirement I missed out on bigger cricketing achievements. Now in fact is the time for me to focus like never before. Also cricket is forever evolving so it's not that difficult. In '89 when I started out, cricket was different and I don't know what might change next - I cannot lose focus at all to keep in step with the game. Let my agents look after opportunities beyond cricketing years while I play.
Sachin Tendulkar

Are you saying that you don't spare a thought for your endorsement deals, your restaurants and probing other business propositions?

You may not believe me but the answer is no. Where Tendulkar's is concerned, yes, I was involved in the launch phase. But again the extent of my involvement was in ensuring the restaurant is a reflection of my tastes in food and dcor. But beyond that no, not at all. I do go there when I have the time because it's my kind of place and I like it. But I will not get involved in the details. If it makes a profit I will not work on doubling the returns and if it makes a loss I will not sit with the management and work out a revival strategy. I won't. To do that I have hired agents, partnered with people proficient in these matters so that my focus is 100% cricket. Even in my endorsements - all preliminary work is done by my agents. I don't get involved at any stage and they only bring things up to me for the final call. I have to ensure my focus is uni-dimensional, and that is cricket

Surely at times you feel a sense of power beyond measure? Your endorsements are heftier than even Amitabh Bachchan's. Global icons like Michael Schumacher and Dire Straits are your admirers...

I have never been after power. It means nothing to me; being recognised, being paid handsomely... I don't allow things outside of cricket to affect my psyche. And that was ingrained in me right at the start. My family grounded me; they never allowed success to go to my head. If there was an achievement we would all be happy, there would be a small celebration but it would never be loud. It was like a lesson on how to dilute the heady feeling of success. The talk in the house, after the pat on the back, would immediately be of the next goal. My father would close the earlier chapter and look at the possibilities ahead. Similarly my brother, who saw the spark in me and merged his goals with mine, was a huge driving force. Whenever I scored it would be what's next, he wouldn't go gaga, and that set the boundaries for celebration. That helped me a lot, really. If I play well automatically my focus is on the next 20 overs, the way my father would want it to be. Half my life I have been playing for India (takes a few seconds to calculate) nearly 55% of my life. Things have not happened overnight, it has taken long... There's a saying, which probably explains me the best, 'even if you are on the right track, you've got to move on'. I might be on the right track at the right place but my endeavour is always to move forward.

Your dream was to play for India and you've more than lived that dream for over 17 years. What keeps you going now?

Yes, I have lived my dream, my dream to play for India. When I was in school and my brother would coach me I would ask him, "When will I get to play for India?" I was so young, I didn't understand what playing for India meant and it was more like a nursery kid saying he wants to be a doctor. But from the day I picked up my bat my target was to play for India. And there was a second goal, to play as long as I could. It's that second goal that keeps me going, and with it the benchmarks that keep changing. When we were in school the benchmark was [Sunil] Gavaskar, all good and bad was measured against him. From thereon it's been a wonderful journey... I crossed the 34 100s benchmark set by him. What also keeps me going are the people around me who're just as involved in my game. When I was yet learning the ropes there were days when I wouldn't show up for practise and Achrekar Sir would come all the way from Shivaji Park looking for me. He'd find me and then take me back on his scooter. Behind my achievements have been tremendous efforts by Sir. Similarly my family always prods me on such that I never lose focus. My father, despite being a professor, accepted my passing marks knowing my focus was cricket. He would also ensure the right environment for me to grow as a cricketer; so right from the start the talk at home would always be cricket. Even today we rarely discuss anything else...

Is Anjali okay with talking cricket 24/ 7? Does she understand that she comes second after cricket?
In 1990 we met for the first time and yes, then she didn't know A, B, C of cricket. But 17 years is a long time to learn. She understands the game completely now and is very involved. In fact, more than my skill being put to test when I bat it is her nerves that take the strain. She gets really tense and can't move; she doesn't even drink water or eat while I am batting. She has played a momentous role in my life and I can't imagine an existence without her. She is the only one who understands me, she knows when I am stressed, when I am happy or when I am disappointed and knows just what to do. I share all my thoughts with her since she is my support system. Coming second to cricket? I think she has tolerated it all. She is a gold medallist pediatrician but she's given up her career for me. It's not easy handling the pressure that comes from being my wife, handling the home front since I am always travelling, bringing up the kids... She has never complained.

I am sure your children are not as understanding...

I think I make an ok father, I am not strict at all and more like their friend. I try my best to spend as much time as I can with the two of them. I realise that it's important that I am a part of their childhood. But they know that my priority is cricket and I have to sacrifice their time for it, and they seem to understand. Sara will soon be nine and is quite mature, never complains. But Arjun is not yet seven and often gets upset. Each time I have to go away he becomes quiet, or doesn't talk to me normally. He tries to cope with life without me but not without putting up a fight. This time he told me that he is tired that I am always going away from him and he'll lock all the cricket stadiums so I stay home. I'll make up to him though...

Do you feel then that there's too much cricket these days? Giving players no time for family... And do you find the time to head to London as you generally do?

I have always said that the emphasis should be on quality and not quantity of cricket. There has to be enough time in between to recuperate such that players can perform to the best of their ability. Yes, for me that recuperation time is generally in London, we were there for six weeks this summer. I like going there since I am allowed to breathe. I mean, people do recognize you but they let you lead a normal life. And I need that.

The Indian team has time and again repeated that this is just another game of cricket for them, but do you feel that extra edge when playing Pakistan?
Of course, it is a little more than playing anyone else. You realise that this is special when the calls from friends and well wishers increase. It is no doubt more challenging and more of a pressure game than playing any other country.
But eventually it is a game of cricket. My point of view is that when I am playing cricket I cannot think that this game is less or more important. I want to give my six hours of serious cricket on the ground and then take whatever the result. There will
always be expectations, but then you can't do much about it. 
You had sleepless nights before the game against Pakistan in the World Cup. How many sleepless nights have you had here playing back to back matches against Pakistan in Pakistan?
It has been very good here, but the World Cup game was different. It had a different significance to it. It was a crunch game for us because before that we hadn't done well in the World Cup.
This is obviously a big tour for us and I am happy we have been well prepared for it. The Australian tour was good for us; it was ideal preparation for us. We spent four months together and that really helped. As a team we figured out our strengths and weaknesses. It has been a very exciting tour, there is pressure and there is the joy of victory. But this tour will not match the World Cup game. 
How has the experience been so far with regard to the cricket?
It has been great. It has been a collective performance from the team. And that is the reason why this victory is great, because different players have made contributions to the win. Someone scored a quick 10 runs, someone got a run-out and the team clicked as a whole unit.
Peshawar was a different track and the toss was crucial, but other than that the whole team played well.
How would you describe the catch you took to dismiss Inzamam-ul-Haq in the final game?              
It was a crucial catch. I had it at the back of my mind that he had played that shot before in the first one-dayer in Karachi and in the fourth one-dayer in Lahore. I was ready for that catch, hoping that Inzy would go for the shot again. Inzy is a great player who can just take the game away from you. His wicket was very important.
How is the Pakistan bowling attack as compared to the bowling attack you played 15 years ago?
This is a good bowling side with a good blend of youth and experience. Shoaib Akhtar has been playing for 5, 6 years and is an experienced bowler. Along with Mohammad Sami and Shabbir Ahmed they form a formidable team. Saqlain Mushtaq has done well against us.
But the attack in 1989 had Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. That attack was more experienced. Imran Khan did not become Imran Khan overnight. He worked hard to become a legend. Wasim and Waqar were amazing bowlers. I would put them right up there with the best in the world.
Does the 136 you scored in Chennai play at the back of your mind on the eve of another Test series against Pakistan?
Before coming here I had a minor back problem and I thought whenever I play Pakistan I get a back problem. Why is that? But thankfully it has settled down now and I am fine. Even in South Africa during the World Cup when I played Pakistan I had a back problem and so also in Chennai.
But that defeat still is a huge disappointment for me. 
You have more runs than anyone else in international cricket. What is your ultimate goal?
There is no set goal. There is no target as such. I just keep it simple. Watch the ball and play it on merit.
I have played for 15 years and it has been a dream. I always had a dream to play for India but I never let it put pressure on me. I never let it affect me; instead I kept positive thoughts and made sure that I have something to show. I have never thought where I will go, or forced any targets on myself.
Sachin Tendulkar