Sunday, February 27, 2011

Interview with Adam Gilchrist

Interview with Adam Gilchrist
Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist is a once in a generation type of cricketer. He changed the game in so many ways, made the impossible a reality, perfected the art of wicket keepering, and became a role model to many during his twelve year international career.

But while talking to this great man you would hardly believe that he had accomplished so many great feats. I could sense that off the field he was a modest family-man. Sounds of every day life were heard, his three children playing happily in the background with the noises of everyday chores, such as cleaning the dishes and doing laundry - it was like anyone else's home.

There was not a hint of ego in his voice; he treated me - a fourteen year old
kid - with just as much respect as an actual reporter. He is genuinely a nice guy, and one heck of a cricketer.
Gilchrist

The Interview
Quote:
In one word, how would you like others to think of your career?
Entertaining. Fun. Hopefully not boring!
Quote:
What team did you fear most while playing for Australia?
I don't think I necessarily feared a team, but the pressure was always immense whenever I played India and England, mainly because of the rivalry we have against those two nations.
Quote:
Australia is going to be playing the West Indies relatively soon. How will it feel to not be with your team mates? Would you wish you were out there, standing behind the stumps?
Obviously it's going to take some getting used to. Will I wish I were there? Yeah, probably at the start. But I know that it is my time to leave international cricket for the sake of the team and letting other people have a go.
Gilchrist

Quote:
Who did you enjoy batting the most from your position behind the stumps?
A lot of batsman. Sachin Tendulkar probably comes to mind first, and if you roll the tapes back of what he did in the CB Series and the test series you'll know why. His strokes are just awesome, that late cut over the slips is probably the best of them all. It's hard not to congratulate him for a knock of a hundred or even a knock of thirty to be honest.

Other batsmen that come to mind are obviously Lara - no one has the ability to up the ante like he does. One over he'll be leaving them outside the off stump, the other he'll be slapping them over third man for four. And then there's Inzamam, he has that lazy elegance about him, and I love the way he waddles between the wickets.
Gilchrist

Quote:
How do you see the future of Australian Cricket?
It's really bright. We have an endless supply of quality batsman, lots of all rounder, and a bunch of up and coming spinners. They're all playing in a one of the toughest domestic circuits around, gaining valuable experience before even making their debut.
Quote:
How do you rate Brad Haddin?
He's a great keeper. I've seen him take some awesome catches and brilliant stumpings. His batting is fantastic as well.
Quote:
Were you a player that checked your stats after every game?
Nah, not really mate. Every now and then, after a good knock or a lean patch I would, but I just go out there and have fun.
Quote:
I know you probably get this question a lot, but what's your favorite innings? Both Tests and ODI matches?
There's absolutely nothing like hitting a century in the final of a World Cup, that too against a quality bowling attack of Sri Lanka. That's probably my favorite. The 102 off 50-odd deliveries during the ashes was probably the funniest innings I have ever had.
Gilchrist

Quote:
Is there a catch or stumping that stands out in mind?
Dismissal number 414.

Quote:
Who was the hardest bowler to keep to during your career?
Warney. He spins it an absolute mile, he's a freak of nature! It's terribly hard picking his deliveries, I feel really bad for the batsman, as even I’m clue less!
Quote:
You didn't have the greatest start to your ODI career with the bat, what do you think was your turning point?
Tugga [Steve Waugh] asking me to open the innings. He just let me play my own game, let me be aggressive, without the pressures of raising the run rate from a low one and batting with the tail. I enjoy opening in ODI cricket more then anything else.
Quote:
What do you think is your greatest achievement?
Captaining the side that won in India, dubbed the 'final frontier', was an awesome experience and an honor. Also, receiving the title of 'Best ODI Player' from your colleagues is the greatest honor one could get.
Quote:
You 'walked', or left the crease before the umpire gave you out, a lot during your career. Why did you do it?
If I know I’m out, I'll go. It's as simple as that, I can't live with myself if stayed.

Quote:
What do you think of the IPL?
It's the greatest thing to happen to cricket since the days of Packer and World Series cricket. It brings nations together, we learn about their cultures and they learn about ours while playing together. I don't know why people think it's a bad idea, as long as people aren't bunking out on national duties this should be fine. I think a set amount of time each year should be put away for the IPL.
Quote:
You've been named Vice-Captain of your side, the Deccan Chargers. How does that feel?
It's an absolute honor. There are a lot of other fantastic cricketers in the side, and I’m flattered that the owners have chosen me to be under VVS Laxman. He's got a great cricketing mind and I hope I can help him as much as I can.
Gilchrist


Quote:
The betting odds have your team as favorites. What do you think about that?
Well, put your money on us because mate, we're going to win!
Quote:
It's been great talking to you mate, I just have one last request. "Gilly Fan" AKA Sean from Western Australia says "I love you". Can we have a shout out?
I love you too, mate!
Gilchrist