Monday, February 28, 2011

Interview with Aleem Dar

Aleem Dar
Interview with Aleem Dar
The Umpire of the years
2009 & 2010

Aleem Sarwar Dar is an international umpire from Pakistan. He has now officiated in over 200 international matches, including the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup Final. He is also a two-time winner of the prestigious ICC Umpire of the Year award.

Question: Firstly, congratulations on winning this prestigious award for the second time. A great honor for you, and for Pakistan - and a very well deserved one too. Your role as an umpire is a shining example for other umpires, both at the international level now and those aspiring to reach that level in the future.

Aleem Dar: Thank you very much.

Question: Why did you become an umpire? What was the reason that prompted you to make this career choice?

Aleem Dar: Cricket was my childhood passion as it is for most youngsters in the subcontinent. I, therefore, started playing cricket to fulfill my desire and to become a member of the National squad but unfortunately I could not find proper exposure to good club cricket as most of my teen age period was spent with my family in small towns and villages of the country due to the service career of my father, a policeman by profession.

In the year 1999, I settled in Lahore and started playing club cricket with P & T Gymkhana, a cricketing nursery of the metropolitan city in order to make up for any deficiencies in my game. I soon realized that perhaps it was too late to catch that train but I could not break by romance with my passion. I then made a life changing decision to shift my focus from occupying the crease as a player to staying on the turf as an umpire. Initially, I started supervising cricket matches in local club tournaments but there was hardly enough money to pursue that as a career and earn a living, so for a short interval, I thought of scrapping the whole idea. I was convinced otherwise by my beloved wife and the consistent perseverance of my respected friend Mr. Azhar Zaidi. 

In the year 2000, I restarted umpiring and supervised domestic national cricket tournaments. My good performance in the domestic tournaments highlighted my profile and I was spotted by ICC to be included in the ICC International Panel of umpires. In 2003, I was included in the umpires team for the World Cup in
South Africa and soon elevated to the Elite Panel of ICC in 2004. Since then, I have become an integral part of the ICC Elite Panel.

I am happy that Allah has made it easy for me to pursue my career as an Umpire. I am also very proud of winning laurels for my country, family and my club. 

Aleem Dar
 


Question: How did you become a top level umpire - where did you start off, and what steps did you take to improve as an umpire and get noticed at the highest levels?

Aleem Dar: As already explained above, I started my umpiring career in 1999 in local club tournaments and supervised national domestic cricket in 2000. In 2002, I was included in the ICC Panel of International Umpires, supervised World Cup 2003 and finally elevated to ICC Elite Panel of Cricket Umpires in 2004.

As with any sphere of life, my success as an international umpire is due to blessings from Allah, my own sincere hard work coupled with sincerity, consistency, confidence, self belief, professional competence and a constant drive for improvement.

Additionally, to further refine my skills as an umpire, I regularly play cricket for my club, play table-tennis, go to the gym and try to keep myself mentally and physically fit to endure the rigors of standing in a five days cricket test match. All these activities help me stick to the basic principle of cricket "Eye on the Ball" which is true for both playing and umpiring cricket. My efforts revolve around improvement in knowledge of cricket rules and sharpening my reflexes, which are primary ingredients to perform as a cricket umpire. 

My ability to perform in the field with a high ratio of correct decisions is mainly dependent on my efforts to continuously follow the positive routines discussed above has propelled me to prominence amongst others and to be spotted by the ICC in the initial phase of my career as umpire. However, the most important factor as stated above is the blessing of ALLAH. 


Question: What preparations and reviews do you do to monitor and improve your performance as a top international umpire?

Aleem Dar: To keep myself fit and available for my assignment as an International Cricket Umpire, I have to exercise all the rituals and processes discussed above.

However, specifically speaking, I also focus on ICC Code of Conduct, discipline and coordination with fellow Umpires. I avoid mixing with the press and public and to some extent with the players as well and I do not indulge in controversial statements.

I have never believed in favoritism and make maximum efforts to review decisions objectively, on their individual merit. By the Grace of Allah, till date, I am successful in fulfilling the requirements of my professional duty This simple policy routine has always helped me to maintain the level of expectations from my employer (ICC), players and the cricket loving public and also improve my output and performance on field. 


Question: Who is your favorite international umpire, of all time? Why?

Aleem Dar: Mr. Steve Buckner is my favorite International Cricket Umpire and my role model in the umpiring profession. He was closely associated with me in the initial part of my international career and lent me maximum support as a senior in the trade and guided me in carrying out my assignment. 


QuestionWho is your favorite Pakistani umpire, of all time? Why?

Aleem Dar: Mr. Ather Zaidi is my favorite Pakistani Cricket Umpire. I treat him as a mentor as he convinced me to adopt umpiring as profession and career. He taught me all the basic principles needed to become a good professional cricket umpire. The good habits, principles and characteristics related to my professional career which I have discussed above and strive to adopt, were basically brought into my life by Mr. Ather Zaidi, who still devotes time for my counseling and guidance. 


Question: Who are your role models, in life generally, and in cricket more specifically? Any umpires who you try and emulate?

Aleem Dar: My late father was my role model in my general life as he spent his whole life with honesty, even in a department like the Pakistan Police! He groomed all of his children to live in this society with honesty and dignity - teachings that are now part of our life.

In my cricket life Mr. Azhar Zaidi, a respected friend is a role model for me as he is the person who has always supported me in my difficult times and prompted me to restart my career as a cricket umpire when I was almost ready to quit it. As umpire, I do not emulate any one, as I have my own style and outlook towards umpiring which is distinctive and unique by itself. 


Question: Do you make an attempt on the field to get friendly with players, or do you prefer that umpire maintains a certain formality with the players he is officiating?

Aleem Dar: I am always friendly with the players on the field, but up to a permissible extent which may neither be regarded as arrogance nor be labeled as favoritism. An umpire is the official supervisor of the game and should always behave in the field in a dignified manner. I am by nature not a talkative person and refrain from instant friendships on field. 


Question: Traveling so much as an international umpire must take its toll on family life. How do you and your family deal with this? Do they ever travel with you? Which city are they based in, and how many days a year do you normally get to spend at 'home'?

Aleem Dar: As an International Cricket Umpire, I need to travel around the globe to fulfill my official obligations for almost 7 months a year which takes a natural toll on my family. However, my spouse is a very sacrificing lady who always balances my absence by giving more time and attention to our children and has never amassed any pressure on this score by happily accepting this challenge. 

This positive attitude of her's has provided me with the strength to fulfill my duties on the field without any tension and keep myself composed even in difficult situations. My family and I are permanently based in
Lahore where my children are getting their education in good schools and in their summer holidays, they often join me on tours, especially when I am performing in England


Question: What was your family's reaction on your winning this award, both last year and this year?

Aleem Dar: My family is always happy on my achievements and they pray for my success and glory. They rejoiced and bowed to Allah on both the occasions when I received consecutive awards as best umpire of the year. 


Question: Are there any upcoming and relatively unknown Pakistani umpires that you would recommend us to watch out for? Any future Aleem Dars out there?

Aleem Dar: There are many upcoming and young umpires in the domestic local and national tournaments who can groom themselves to perform excellently by watching seniors. However, they will have to concentrate on the basic principles I have outlined above. PCB shall have to also enhance facilities for the young and upcoming umpires in the domestic tournaments to encourage them, as are available in the International circuit. 


Question: Which bowlers have 'pestered' you the most while umpiring?

Aleem Dar: There are a few but not worth mentioning. 


Question: What kinds of player behavior, in your view, can effect an umpire's decision making ability? For example, a loud and theatrical appeal?

Aleem Dar: Players are always putting pressures on field umpires to get a decisions to their advantage but nowadays, match referees are also involved in the games which has reduced pressure on the field umpires. Nevertheless, an umpire should not succumb to the behavior of players but should rather base his decisions on merit and his own observations, carefully reviewing each decision in his mind before declaring it. 


Question: Thank you very much for your time. We wish you all the best and pray for your success in future. Allah Hafiz.

Aleem Dar: Thank you very much. It was pleasure talking to you. Allah Hafiz.

Aleem Dar